Pioneering a way to keep very small satellites in orbit
A cubesat, largely built by undergraduate students, will explore the feasibility of a new propulsion method that could enable very small satellites to move around Earth’s orbit without carrying fuel. This could pave the way for tiny satellites that stay in orbit for long periods and operate in swarms, monitoring storms and natural disasters, for example.
With this ring
When Matt Sherman, MBA '05, found a wedding band on a New York City sidewalk in early December, he set in motion a maize-and-blue miracle that only a fellow Wolverine could believe.
Though strong evidence suggests that the responsible coronavirus originated in bats, how and when it crossed from wildlife into humans is unknown. In a study published online in the journal mBio, an international team of 15 biologists say this lack of clarity has exposed a glaring weakness in the current approach to pandemic surveillance and response worldwide.
Dow Sustainability Fellows
A $3 million gift from the Dow Company Foundation will continue the Dow Sustainability Fellows Program at U-M. The gift supplements the company's $13 million in donations to fund the Dow Fellows Program since its inception in 2013 and secures funding through 2023. The program offers a graduate-level interdisciplinary training and sustainability project experience to students across the university.
- Maize & Blueprint — Current Campus Status
New state allocation strategy limits U-M COVID-19 vaccine rollout
The state of Michigan has revised its strategy for distributing COVID-19 vaccine doses in an effort to achieve a balance of efficiency, effectiveness and equity and target those populations most at-risk.Learn more about the new state allocation strategy
Campus Maize & Blueprint
The University of Michigan’s comprehensive plan for Winter Term incorporates public health guidance, lessons learned from the fall and extensive feedback from our community. Many new safety measures and additional resources have been developed to protect and support our students, faculty and staff.
- All community members who need to enter U-M buildings are now required to show their ResponsiBLUE daily symptom checker results. Undergraduates must also display their weekly testing status.
- U-M’s free weekly COVID-19 testing program is available for all students, faculty and staff on the Ann Arbor campus and meets the mandatory testing requirements for undergraduates.
Prevention & Care
- Our COVID-19 Playbook outlines U-M’s approach to slowing the spread of COVID-19 and the programs and resources developed to support our community during this challenging year.
- Many local leaders lack awareness of state's plan to redraw legislative districts
- Sleep is vital to associating emotion with memory
- U-M Carbon Neutrality Acceleration Program awards $1.75M in grants to seven research projects
- Release of nutrients from lake-bottom sediments worsens Lake Erie's annual 'dead zone'
- Guidepost to help U-M draft values statement, update policies
- Commentary: The 5th wave of rebel terrorism
- WATCH LIVE 2/25: Conversation on redistricting, role Michigan communities play in process
- Commentary: Reenvisioning humanities infrastructure
- Faculty Q&A: Ford School expert talks property taxes
- Michigan Minds: Examining the health disparities facing Black communities
In The News
- Washington Post The next front in the gerrymandering wars: Which people get counted?
- Vox The Black-white life expectancy gap grew in 2020 — but it can be reversed
- Vox Black and Latino communities are being left behind in the vaccine rollout
- The Atlantic The one number that will signal the pandemic's end
Happening @ Michigan
Due to the Coronavirus (COVID-19) events may have been moved online, rescheduled, or canceled. Visit Happening@Michigan for updates.
- Mar 2 DEI Workshop: Diversity 101
- Apr 15 DEI Workshop: Hired-In
- Feb 24 Sip & Stroll
- Feb 24 Pilates
- Feb 24 Total Body Strength
- Feb 24 STRONG Nation
- Feb 24
- Mar 23
- Mar 31
- Apr 20
- Apr 21, 24-25
All Michigan, all the time
There’s always something amazing happening at Michigan. Whether it’s on campus or around the world, our students, faculty, staff and alumni are out seizing the day. A sampling of images captured over the years is shown in the gallery below.
- 12:15 pm
- 12:13 pm
- 12:16 pm
- 12:34 pm
- 12:57 pm
- 12:46 pm
- 12:08 pm
- 12:16 pm
- 12:17 pm
- 12:27 pm
- 12:31 pm
- 12:10 pm
- 12:30 pm
- 2:54 pm
- 2:16 pm
- 2:16 pm
- 2:54 pm
- 3:58 pm
- 3:37 pm
- 3:47 pm
- 3:36 pm
- 4:35 pm
- 4:30 pm
- 6:04 pm
- 6:54 pm
- 7:46 pm
- 7:37 pm
- 7:52 pm
- 10:27 pm
- 11:34 pm