Historical letters in U-M zoology museum
Clark Schmutz spent more than 100 hours last semester reading and digitally scanning hundreds of letters in the correspondence files of the U-M Museum of Zoology’s mammal collections, which date back to the 1800s. These letters contain intriguing stories that illustrate the links between museum collections and conservation.
Wasps may be smarter than we thought
A new U-M study shows that paper wasps are capable of behavior that resembles logical reasoning. It's the first time transitive inference, the ability to use known relationships to infer unknown relationships, has been observed in an insect or any non-vertebrate animal. The study was conducted by evolutionary biologist Elizabeth Tibbetts and several undergraduates.
Hail! Class of 2019
Congratulations to all of the U-M students who earned their degrees this spring. Students received their diplomas during Spring Commencement at Michigan Stadium on May 4. Other graduation celebrations are being held across campus through May 10. #MGoGrad
After a yearlong hiatus, an iconic work of public art—along with the artist who created it—returned to the University of Michigan’s central campus last week. The sculptor, Mark di Suvero, will receive an honorary degree during the spring commencement ceremony.
- A new pathway for an anti-aging drug
- Toward zero hunger: More food or a smarter food system?
- For moms, working multiple jobs can be depressing
- Statement by President Schlissel and the Board of Regents on the passing of Douglass Diggs
- Tisch gift strengthens UMMA exhibitions, names central gallery
- SPH's Scott Roberts appointed co-chair of statewide coalition to improve quality of life for Michigan residents with dementia
- U-M town hall will focus on integration of arts, humanities and STEMM
- Campuswide series offers ways to strengthen public engagement
- 327 million and counting: Should the 2020 Census include a citizenship question?
In The News
- Crain's Detroit Business Clinc takes aim at Siri—and IPO—with $52 million investment
- CNN International College debt: More than a billionaire can fix
- CNBC Consumer sentiment is at a 15-year high. That's a bad sign for stocks
- Sapiens Could mammoth bones reveal when humans first arrived in North America?
Happening @ Michigan
- May 24 20th International Conference on Integer Programming and Combinatorial Optimization (Day 3)
- Aug 17 Copies and Invention in East Asia
- May 23 Blind House: Utopia and Dystopia in the Age of Radical Transparency
- May 23 Ramadan Community Iftars
- May 25 Abstraction, Color, and Politics in the Early 1970s
- May 29 Wellness Dog at UHS!
- May 27
- Jun 24
- Jun 25-26
- Jun 27-28
- Jun 28
All Michigan, all the time
There’s always something amazing happening at Michigan. Whether it’s on campus or around the world, our students, faculty, staff and alumni are out seizing the day as shown in the slideshow below.
- 7:51 am
- 7:58 am
- 7:04 am
- 7:02 am
- 8:42 am
- 10:31 am
- 10:56 am
- 10:02 am
- 10:58 am
- 10:12 am
- 11:28 am
- 11:48 am
- 12:13 pm
- 12:16 pm
- 12:08 pm
- 12:27 pm
- 12:31 pm
- 1:17 pm
- 2:21 pm
- 2:59 pm
- 2:19 pm
- 2:42 pm
- 2:46 pm
- 3:12 pm
- 3:36 pm
- 3:16 pm
- 4:55 pm
- 5:45 pm
- 6:35 pm
- 7:35 pm