Wasps may be smarter than we thought
A new U-M study shows that paper wasps are capable of behavior that resembles logical reasoning. It's the first time transitive inference, the ability to use known relationships to infer unknown relationships, has been observed in an insect or any non-vertebrate animal. The study was conducted by evolutionary biologist Elizabeth Tibbetts and several undergraduates.
Hail! Class of 2019
Congratulations to all of the U-M students who earned their degrees this spring. Students received their diplomas during Spring Commencement at Michigan Stadium on May 4. Other graduation celebrations are being held across campus through May 10. #MGoGrad
After a yearlong hiatus, an iconic work of public art—along with the artist who created it—returned to the University of Michigan’s central campus last week. The sculptor, Mark di Suvero, will receive an honorary degree during the spring commencement ceremony.
Close Up With Communities
As many Michigan communities — like Greenwood and Chandler Townships — face important decisions regarding their future in wind energy, they are using unbiased information provided by U-M’s Center for Local, State, and Urban Policy (CLOSUP) to get the answers they need.
- Statement by President Schlissel and the Board of Regents on the passing of Douglass Diggs
- U-M among recipients of NIH grant to fund flu research
- Blood biopsy: New technique enables detailed genetic analysis of cancer cells
- Some LGBT employees feel less supported at federal agencies
- NCID mobilizes staff and faculty to address social issues
- Campuswide series offers ways to strengthen public engagement
- The Conversation: Why is the Pentagon interested in UFOs?
- 327 million and counting: Should the 2020 Census include a citizenship question?
- The Conversation: How traumatic injury has become a health care crisis
In The News
- Vox Self-driving cars have to be safer than regular cars. The question is how much.
- Fortune 3 subtle ways China is beating Trump at his own trade war
- Yale Environment 360 Why low-income households need to be part of the clean energy revolution
- Washington Post How the ANC eked out a win in South Africa's election
Happening @ Michigan
- Jun 5 "Am I Good Enough?" Yes, You Are!
- May 19 Friday Night AI
- May 20 she was here, once
- May 20 True to Life: Film Director Nancy Savoca’s Quest for Authenticity
- May 27
- Jun 24
- Jun 25-26
- Jun 27-28
- Jun 28
All Michigan, all the time
There’s always something amazing happening at Michigan. Whether it’s on campus or around the world, our students, faculty, staff and alumni are out seizing the day as shown in the slideshow below.
- 10:46 am
- 10:10 am
- 10:28 am
- 10:31 am
- 10:56 am
- 10:57 am
- 10:18 am
- 10:44 am
- 10:02 am
- 10:14 am
- 10:58 am
- 10:10 am
- 10:12 am
- 11:28 am
- 12:31 pm
- 2:16 pm
- 2:21 pm
- 3:58 pm
- 3:47 pm
- 3:37 pm
- 3:47 pm
- 5:25 pm
- 5:33 pm
- 5:42 pm
- 6:20 pm
- 6:35 pm
- 7:35 pm
- 7:55 pm
- 9:51 pm
- 10:32 pm