A World Without Ice
This multisensory experience created by U-M SMTD professor Stephen Rush and SMTD and Residential College professor Michael Gould with visual artist Marion Tränkle and climate scientist Henry Pollack, is now on view at the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum through Jan. 5, 2020.
What humans want in an automated car
U-M researchers set out to examine how a person’s perception of safety in an autonomous vehicle was influenced by the degree to which the vehicle and the rider seemed to share certain “personality” traits.
DESI opens its 5,000 eyes
A new instrument mounted atop a telescope in Arizona aimed its robotic array of 5,000 fiber-optic “eyes” at the night sky to capture the first images showing its unique view of galaxy light.
Music Time in Africa
In September 2014, two U-M professors received a phone call that would set them on a race to save more than a half century of African music. In response, UMSI’s Paul Conway and LSA’s Kelly Askew teamed up to create a one-of-a-kind resource for scholars and music enthusiasts around the globe.
- 19 schools and colleges — see complete listsee complete list
Beyond the Bicentennial
A new website provides access to U-M history in one easy-to-use location featuring archival records, databases, and stories about U-M history, including a piece about U-M president James Angell and how he transformed Michigan and the face of higher education forever.Read more
- This is Michigan — Stories of our state
- New species of whale represents intermediate stage between foot-powered, tail-powered swimming
- Inclusive play: U-M art professor leads creation of interactive game for kids with disabilities
- Water births are as safe as land births for mom, baby
- Program helps U-M students grow through community service
- Varied legal, cultural issues affect number of women in leadership roles
- Barbara McQuade: The FBI properly, legally investigated 2016 Trump campaign. The rest is noise and spin.
- Leah Litman: Supreme Court faces Republican pressure to be activist and scrap Obamacare. How ironic.
- Fiscal health: Mixed signals for Michigan's local governments
- Nicholas Bagley: Enforcing work requirements is a waste
In The News
- U.S. News & World Report Medicaid expansion yields healthier habits in Michigan
- WKAR Radio The dangers of stress eating and how to fight the urge
- The Next Platform (U.K.) Operating a campuswide high-performing computer center like an enterprise
- New York Times The IRS sent a letter to 3.9 million people. It saved some of their lives.
Happening @ Michigan
- Dec 12 Brown Bag: "The Radical Visual Rhetoric of Early Abolition"
- Dec 12 LSI Seminar Series: Jon Clardy, Ph.D., Harvard Medical School
- Dec 12 BLI DeStress Fest
- Dec 12 “We must work off our surplus animal spirits”
- Dec 11
- Dec 12, 14-15
- Dec 13, 16-20
- Dec 15
- Jan 8
All Michigan, all the time
There’s always something amazing happening at Michigan. Whether it’s on campus or around the world, our students, faculty, staff and alumni are out seizing the day as shown in the slideshow below.
- 9:08 am
- 9:50 am
- 10:57 am
- 10:14 am
- 11:25 am
- 11:29 am
- 11:48 am
- 1:17 pm
- 1:41 pm
- 1:40 pm
- 2:54 pm
- 3:29 pm
- 3:36 pm
- 4:55 pm
- 5:33 pm
- 6:07 pm
- 7:38 pm
- 7:52 pm
- 8:10 pm
- 9:15 pm
- 9:13 pm
- 9:24 pm
- 9:51 pm
- 10:27 pm
- 10:32 pm
- 10:43 pm
- 11:59 pm
- 11:01 pm
- 11:34 pm
- 11:33 pm