A World Without Ice
This multisensory experience created by U-M SMTD professor Stephen Rush and SMTD and Residential College professor Michael Gould with visual artist Marion Tränkle and climate scientist Henry Pollack, is now on view at the Ann Arbor Hands-On Museum through Jan. 5, 2020.
What humans want in an automated car
U-M researchers set out to examine how a person’s perception of safety in an autonomous vehicle was influenced by the degree to which the vehicle and the rider seemed to share certain “personality” traits.
DESI opens its 5,000 eyes
A new instrument mounted atop a telescope in Arizona aimed its robotic array of 5,000 fiber-optic “eyes” at the night sky to capture the first images showing its unique view of galaxy light.
Music Time in Africa
In September 2014, two U-M professors received a phone call that would set them on a race to save more than a half century of African music. In response, UMSI’s Paul Conway and LSA’s Kelly Askew teamed up to create a one-of-a-kind resource for scholars and music enthusiasts around the globe.
- 19 schools and colleges — see complete listsee complete list
Beyond the Bicentennial
A new website provides access to U-M history in one easy-to-use location featuring archival records, databases, and stories about U-M history, including a piece about U-M president James Angell and how he transformed Michigan and the face of higher education forever.Read more
- This is Michigan — Stories of our state
- Fellowship program aims to support faculty public engagement
- New species of whale represents intermediate stage between foot-powered, tail-powered swimming
- Fiscal health: Mixed signals for Michigan's local governments
- Inclusive play: U-M art professor leads creation of interactive game for kids with disabilities
- Water births are as safe as land births for mom, baby
- Andy Hoffman on sustainability: Action on climate, big changes in transportation, agriculture
- Sociologists Neil Gong, Xiaohong Xu: How Andrew Yang can and should advance racial understanding
- Barbara McQuade: The FBI properly, legally investigated 2016 Trump campaign. The rest is noise and spin.
- Leah Litman: Supreme Court faces Republican pressure to be activist and scrap Obamacare. How ironic.
In The News
- The Great Courses Daily New way to calculate 'dog years' raises questions of aging, DNA
- SciTechDaily Surprising clues to Martian climate uncovered as NASA's MAVEN maps winds in Mars' upper atmosphere
- U.S. News & World Report 'Prehab' before surgery helps speed seniors' recovery
- Michigan Radio As many as 1 in 5 moms deal with perinatal mood disorders. But stigma stops many from seeking help.
Happening @ Michigan
- Dec 16 Biosciences Initiative Second Annual Community Celebration and Symposium with President Schlissel
- Dec 12, 14-15
- Dec 13, 16-20
- Dec 15
- Jan 8
- Jan 20
All Michigan, all the time
There’s always something amazing happening at Michigan. Whether it’s on campus or around the world, our students, faculty, staff and alumni are out seizing the day as shown in the slideshow below.
- 3:38 pm
- 3:58 pm
- 3:34 pm
- 3:47 pm
- 3:47 pm
- 3:47 pm
- 3:05 pm
- 3:12 pm
- 3:29 pm
- 3:37 pm
- 3:47 pm
- 3:36 pm
- 3:16 pm
- 4:15 pm
- 4:01 pm
- 4:35 pm
- 4:47 pm
- 4:49 pm
- 5:25 pm
- 5:48 pm
- 6:35 pm
- 6:18 pm
- 7:38 pm
- 7:44 pm
- 9:13 pm
- 9:24 pm
- 9:51 pm
- 11:59 pm
- 11:01 pm
- 11:34 pm