After completing Chapter 9 of the text and associated DVD material the reader will be able to:
- Discuss the pseudo-steady-state-hypothesis and explain how it can be used to solve reaction engineering problems.
- Write reaction pathways for complex reactions.
- Explaine what an enzyme is and how it acts as a catalyst.
- Describe Michealis-Menten enzyme kinetics and and rate law along with its temperature dependence.
- Discss how to distinguish the different types of enzyme inhibition.
- Discuss the stages of cell growth and the rate laws used to describe growth.
- Write material balances on cells, substrates, and products in bioreactors to size chemostats and plot concentration-time trajectories in batch reactors.