Chapter 10: Catalysis and Catalytic Reactors
Additional Homework Problems
- CD10GA-1 Suggest a rate law and mechanism for the catalytic oxidation of ethanol over tantalum oxide when the adsorption of ethanol and oxygen takes place on different sites. [2nd Ed. P6-17]
- CDP10-DB Determine the rate law and rate law parameters for the wet etching of an aluminum silicate.
- CDP10-GB The formation of CH4 from CO and H2 is studied in a differential reactor.
- CDP10-KB Analyze the rate data
- CDP10-LB Carbonation of allyl chloride whereby the complexes Pd*CO and Pd*CO*NaOH* are formed. Find the rate limiting step. [3rd Ed. P10-11]
- CDP10-MB California problem. Isomerization reaction with catalyst decay. Review the data and make a recommendation. [3rd Ed. P10-18]
- CDP10-NB Fluidized bed reactor with catalyst decay as measured by decline in octane number. Real data. [3rd Ed.P10-20]
- CDP10-OB Catalyst decay in a catch reactor. [3rd Ed. P10-23]
- CDP10-PB Deactivation by coking in a differential reactor. [3rd Ed. P10-24]
- CDP10-QB The autocatalytic reaction A + B 2B is carried out in a moving-bed reactor. The decay law is first-order in B. Plot the activity and the concentrations of A and B as a function of catalyst weight.
- CDP10-RC The decomposition of cumene is carried out over a LaY zeolite catalyst, and deactivation is found to occur by coking. Determine the decay law and rate law, and use these to design a STTR. [2nd Ed. P6-27]
- CDP10-SB A second-order reaction over a decaying catalyst takes place in a moving-bed reactor. [Final Exam, Winter 1994]
- CDP10-TB A first-order reaction A B + C takes place in a moving-bed reactor. [Final Exam, Winter 1994]
- CDP10-UB For the cracking of normal paraffins (Pn), the rate has been found to increase with increasing temperature up to a carbon number of 15 (i.e., n < 16) and to decrease with increasing temperature for a carbon number greater than 16. [J. Wei, Chem. Eng. Sci., 51, 2995 (1996)]
- CDP10-VB The reaction A + B C + D is carried out in a moving-bed reactor.
- CDP10-WB Second order reaction and zero order decay in a batch reactor.
- CDP10-XB First order decay in a moving bed reactor for the series reaction A BC